Monday, November 2, 2009

~there is no me without you~

I have recently begun reading the book There is No Me Without You by Melissa Fay Greene and I wanted to share a few quotes that really struck a chord with me. "America wrestles with the obesity crisis to such an extent that Americans forget there are worse weight problems on earth than obesity." I believe this quote needs no explanation.

The other quote has to do with a country's reason for opening adoption of its children to foreign countries. "'Adoption is a last resort,' I would be told in November 2005 by Haddush Halefom, head of the Children's Commission under Ethiopia's Ministry of Labor, the arbiter of intercountry adoptions, 'Historically, close kinship ties in our country meant that there were very few orphans: orphaned children were raised in their extended families. The HIV/ AIDS pandemic has destroyed so many of our families that the possibility no longer exists to absorb all our Ethiopian orphans.'"

I know that this book will take me a while to read, because it is always harder to hear the truth about the world than to ignore reality.

No comments: